NSCS - Field InterviewerWESTAT
Westat is currently seeking motivated individuals with a commitment to excellence to collect data for an important study conducted for the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS).
Westat is working with BJS to redesign its National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS), which is administered for BJS by the Census. The NCVS is the only national source of data on victimization not reported to law enforcement. As part of the redesign effort, Westat is conducting a field test comparing the current NCVS instrument with the redesigned version developed by BJS and Westat.
NSCS Interviewers will contact households and will conduct the initial screenings to determine participant eligibility, gain respondent cooperation, and administer interviews using computer-assisted personal interviews (CAPI) on a Westat-provided laptop computer.
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be available to complete approximately 40 hours of comprehensive remote training prior to in-person training that includes web-based lessons, independent practice and coached training sessions; and
- Be available to attend a one-day, in-person training session at Westat in Rockville, MD, scheduled the week of October 21, 2019.
- Live in the geographic work area defined by the project sample;
- Be available to work during the data collection period from October 28, 2019, through May 31, 2020;
- Be available to work a minimum of 25 hours per week, mostly evenings and weekends, when work is available;
- Be willing to travel locally for project work;
- Able to meet the physical requirements of the position, with or without reasonable accommodations:
o Lift and carry 20 pounds of equipment and materials;
o Walk 2 blocks; and
o Climb a flight of stairs while carrying equipment.
- Regular and reliable access to telephone service with a long-distance calling feature, either landline or cellular;
- Regular and reliable access to a high-speed Internet connection;
- Regular and reliable access to an insured vehicle; and
- Valid (current) driver’s license that is not under suspension.
- In-person interviewing experience;
- Experience cold-calling and working with the public;
- Able to read, write, and communicate effectively in English;
- Able to communicate effectively with people from all walks of life and socio-economic groups;
- Comfortable using a laptop computer and establishing Wi-Fi connections in various locations;
- Comfortable using a smartphone to keep track of time, enter data, and navigate;
- Able to establish and maintain a good rapport with study respondents;
- Able to convey the importance of the study to respondents;
- Comfortable working in unfamiliar locations, knocking on doors;
- Self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented;
- Able to work independently; and
- Work successfully in a team environment with little direct supervision
To learn more about this position and apply, go to www.westat.com/fieldjobs and enter Job ID 15001BR.