OUTREACH AND COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATORUniversity Of Kansas Shared Service Center
JOB TITLE AND INFORMATION:
Outreach and Communications Coordinator
The Kansas African Studies Center (KASC) at the University of Kansas (KU) seeks an Outreach and Communications Coordinator for the coordination of outreach, communications, and promotional materials. The successful candidate will: (1) assist with the development and promotion of Center programs and events both on campus and in the region; (2) collaborate with the other area studies centers as well as various units across campus to assist with the Center’s goals; (3) initiate and maintain relationships for KASC with K-16, business, government, and regional communities as part of the Center’s mission; and (4) oversee KASC promotional materials and social media networks.
50% - Outreach Coordination
Plan, coordinate, staff, and promote center events, including but not limited to outreach programming on and off campus. Work jointly with other units, including but not limited to shared programming, communications, and data collection, to develop and implement area studies initiatives. Develop a familiarity with faculty expertise in African Studies and facilitate networking. Record attendance details and build contact lists for networking and Center projects. Represent KASC on campus, at conferences, and at community events, including on occasional weekends and evenings. Conduct background research and data gathering for Center initiatives and grant applications.
35% - Communications Coordinator
Work with the Center’s Director, Faculty Associate Director, Assistant Director, and other staff (including student assistants) on communications and publicity, to include email communications, web and online services, calendars, annual reports, press releases, etc.
15% - Promotional Material Development and Maintenance
Develop and maintain collections of pedagogical materials (lesson plans, film guides, museum guides, web links etc.). Ensure that these materials are organized and accessible; periodically update and/or revise materials. Develop and maintain materials appropriate for outreach presentations on Africa and its diaspora to be made at school and community events, or for checkout. Make outreach presentations with these materials including travel to local and regional schools, libraries, etc. Other duties as assigned.
Evaluation of the following requirements will be made through (1) descriptions of work experience and educational experiences in letter of application, (2) record of accomplishments and productivity addressed in resume, (3) writing sample(s) of not more than 30 pages, and (4) information provided from professional references:
1. Bachelor’s degree in a discipline connected to African Studies or a related field.
2. One year of related professional experience.
3. Knowledge of Africa through university study and/or study abroad, travel, or work experience in Africa as evidenced by application materials.
4. Excellent writing and editing skills as evidenced by writing samples, such as a research paper, an article, or report.
5. Demonstrated strong oral communication skills and ability to work effectively with the public.
6. Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
7. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud Programs.
- Advanced degree such as an M.A. or PhD in a relevant field related to African Studies.
2. Work experience that required the planning and organization of special events and/or projects.
3. Work experience communicating with a variety of audiences (K-16, local communities, businesses, etc.).
4. Work experience managing websites and social media.
5. Proficiency in an African language other than English.
6. Flexible work schedule to accommodate occasional regional travel and attendance at evening events.
ADDITIONAL CANDIDATE INSTRUCTIONS
Only complete applications that meet the required qualifications will be considered. An online application through the University of Kansas Human Resources Job Site is required. Apply online at: https://employment.ku.edu/staff/12926BR
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information and retaliation in the University's programs and activities. Access to information regarding equal opportunity and diversity worksite posters is available at http://www.humanresources.ku.edu/policies_procedures/category_details/index.aspx?category=8 or you may contact 785-864-4946 or firstname.lastname@example.org for alternate access options. Any inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies should be directed to: Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY