Administrative Assistant (part-time, academic year)UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS LAWRENCE CAMPUS
Administrative Assistant (part-time, academic year)
Pharmacology & Toxicology
This part-time, benefits eligible Administrative Assistant position in Pharmacy and Toxicology will provide administrative support for academic programs, department, graduate students, faculty, staff and department chair.
The position will be 30 hours a week during the academic year (from mid-Aug to mid-May) with summers off.
20% - Student Recruitment / Graduate Program Support
- In collaboration with the Departmental Director of Graduate Studies (faculty member) formulate and execute an annual graduate student recruitment plan/procedure. The process will include collecting information, coordinating layout, printing and mailing of recruitment/promotional materials as well as determining the target mailing list; responsible for correspondence with the 200-400 applicants; preparing material for faculty review and selection of applications (involves reviewing all applications and preparing summary of key characteristics); preparing summary of application process results reflecting the demographics and outcomes of each applicant and application. Create and maintain timeline for all graduate students so necessary forms are completed per Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Pharmacy and Graduate School guidelines. Work with the Departmental Director of Graduate Studies and the University Graduate Studies Office to perform required online tasks regarding graduate studies and student assessment and graduation requirements.
- Oversee the day to day operations of the departmental office. Insure common use equipment such as copier & fax machine are in working order. Maintain inventory of common office supplies for departmental staff. Tasks which may include but are not limited to: sorting departmental mail; delivering packages to labs, directing phone calls and inquiries to appropriate departmental staff members; and assisting faculty members with correspondence, especially the Chair.
- Provide administrative support for instructional activities of department. Activities include, but are not limited to, the preparation of class materials; collection of exam questions; formatting and copying of multiple versions of exams.
- Act as facilitator for departmental committees such as promotion and tenure, faculty recruitment and new faculty start-up. Duties include: scheduling and attending committee meetings; developing and maintaining expertise regarding the University procedures and policies that must be followed and conveying the information to the committee and monitoring compliance; compiling necessary information and documentation and packaging in a professional manner; and act as liaison with the University administrative office responsible oversight of these activities. Due to the size of the department and anticipated growth, it is unlikely that more than two departmental committees will be active at any given time. Act as facilitator for departmental faculty meetings. Responsibilities for scheduling meetings, soliciting agenda items, attending meetings and preparing resulting action points and minutes, and preparing summaries or analysis as requested of issues before faculty.
- Maintain and update departmental web site and departmental Facebook page. Keep all alumni information current. Help create newsletters to be sent out to past graduates and friends of the department.
- Coordinate visits to the department for outside speakers, faculty candidates, graduate student applicants and other guests. Arrange travel accommodations, reimbursements and schedules.
- High School diploma or completion of GED.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in general office, skilled clerical and/or administrative support work, as evidenced in application materials.
- Experience working with students, faculty, and staff at KU or another college or university.
- Knowledge of KU policies and procedures.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with Microsoft Office.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, multi-task, and set priorities.
For more information, and to apply, go to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?PageType=JobDetails&partnerid=25752&siteid=5541&AReq=16495BR#jobDetails=3986842_5541