ASSISTANT RESEARCHER-COACHUNIVERSITY OF KANSAS JUNIPER GARDEN'S CHILDREN'S PROJECT
Preschool Literacy Intervention Coach
Assistant Researcher (4 positions)
(August 2018- May 2019)
Life Span Institute, University of Kansas
JUNIPER GARDENS CHILDREN’S PROJECT
Juniper Gardens Children’s Project, a community-based research institute affiliated with the University of Kansas, is conducting a research program aimed at evaluating how a Practice-Based Coaching model (Literacy 3D) can be used to enhance the literacy focus of early childhood (EC) teachers through data-driven decision making and strategies that boost children’s opportunities to respond in literacy activities. We are seeking four part-time (50% - 75% FTE) intervention coaches who will be responsible for coaching EC teachers in the Kansas City Metro area and in Lawrence, KS in the implementation of Literacy 3D to promote early literacy and oral language development in children ages 3-5.
Intervention coaches will participate in professional development activities for teachers, including group training on data interpretation, in-class observations, and coaching and associated activities (scheduling, recruitment of teachers, and ongoing data analysis and interpretation for coaching). Intervention coaches will assist in the preparation of intervention products and will conduct classroom observations, and child assessments. This position requires strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to work with a team of professionals.
Please note these positions are approximately 50% - 75% (20-30 hours per week) for 10 months working from August 1 to May 31, with the summer (June and July) off of work. The employees have a potential to be appointed to leave without pay status (with possible benefits) during these summer months. The leave without pay appointment and continuation of these positions into the next school year will be contingent upon successful grant funding and individual employee performance.
These positions also require strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to work with a team of professionals. Must have reliable transportation and ability to be flexible in scheduling around school and staff schedules. Please note that all offers of employment are contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the background check. Continuation is dependent on satisfactory yearly evaluation and funding. Position is located in KC, KS with travel to Lawrence, KS and in the KC metro area.
- 40% - Coach teachers on their implementation of literacy-boosting strategies including face-to-face and email delivery of the intervention, and ongoing data monitoring to inform coaching.
- 20% - Conduct assessments and observations in EC classrooms of teachers’ literacy instruction and interactions with children ages 3-5.
- 10% - Provide teachers professional development consultation to help them interpret classroom and child literacy data through individual or group meetings.
- 10% - Conduct child literacy and oral language proficiency assessments.
- 10% - Assist with the preparation of intervention materials.
- 10% - Attend program team meetings and research project meetings.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent in social work, psychology, early childhood, special education, counseling, or related field.
- Three-year minimum experience in working in classrooms, early childhood education, or equivalent.
- One-year minimum experience mentoring/coaching or supervising home visitors or early childhood educators.
- Reliable transportation and ability to be flexible in scheduling around teacher schedules (Need weekday morning and some afternoon availability).
- Master’s degree or equivalent in in social work, psychology, early childhood, special education, counseling, or related field.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail as demonstrated in work experience.
- Experience participating in research projects related to early intervention/education.
- Experience administering standardized assessments and conducting naturalistic observations.
- Fluent in oral and written Spanish.
- Experience with culturally diverse populations.
FTE: 50% - 75% (20-30 hours per week—for 10 months)
SALARY: $15.43—$25.33 hourly, $16,048 - $39,514 annually (based on 10 months at 50% or 75% FTE), commensurate with education and experience.
DEADLINE/START DATE: Review of applications will begin July 16, 2018 and continue until requisite positions are filled. Start date is when position is/are filled.
TO APPLY: For more information and to apply go to https://employment.ku.edu/staff/12299BR.
Please submit an online application, cover letter, resume/vitae and current contact information for three professional references. Candidates who do not submit ALL of the above through the online system will not be considered. Please do not email application materials.
If you have questions about the position you may email Alana Schnitz at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about the application process, you may contact Diana Skill at (913) 735-2612.
Selected candidates must successfully pass a background check.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, retaliation, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities.