Assistant Director, Engineering Career Center #24569BR
Assistant Director, Engineering Career Center
The KU Engineering Career Center (ECC) supports School of Engineering students with high-quality career information, connections, and educational opportunities as they explore, evaluate and pursue their professional goals. As a member of the Engineering Career Center team, the Assistant Director develops and implements career education, programs, and events. In addition, the Assistant Director collaborates to establish and cultivate new strategic partnerships with employers, organizations, and alumni as well as expand existing relationships to develop increased career-related engagement and opportunities for all KU School of Engineering undergraduate and graduate students.
This position is a full-time, regular appointment reporting to the Director of the Engineering Career Center. Some travel is required, as well as the use of KU contracted vehicles. Also, occasional weekend/evening work may be required as the needs of the position demand.
In addition to a competitive salary, the University of Kansas offers great benefits to employees such as paid vacation, sick leave, ten paid holidays, plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical and dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options and State of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees education and professional development opportunities.
Student Education & Programs (60%)
- Educate students on the career development, planning, and implementation process.
- Organize career-related programs, presentations, and events.
- Develop and teach career-related programs; may oversee other instructional staff members (e.g., Graduate Assistant).
- Advise students in the career exploration process; administer and interpret vocational assessments.
- Provide individual career advising expertise to students/alumni regarding job or internship search processes; including resumes/CVs, interviewing, letter writing, networking, salary negotiations and other career preparation areas.
- Provide advising and resources for students pursuing admission to graduate school as well as educational resources for those seeking career paths in other areas, such as entrepreneurial ventures.
- Engage and coordinate employers/alumni in student educational programming, e.g. mock interviews and class presentations.
- Serve as primary liaison to student organizations for employers, alumni, ECC programming, and others.
- Design, collect, analyze, and report data from participants.
New Employer and Alumni Development (10%)
- Partner on ECC development and coordination of strategic partnerships with new employers, alumni, key organizations, and other external entities in collaboration with colleagues internally and across KU.
- Utilize a data informed decision-making framework to facilitate strategic planning and focus.
- Initiate, promote, and cultivate these prospective relationships to expand engagement opportunities, professional networks, mentoring, and internships/employment for students.
- Participate in conferences/events representing KU and connect with potential partners.
- Create and share information through print, digital media, social media, and other avenues with potential partners.
- Track related activities, evaluate progress and present information to stakeholders.
Established Partner Services (5%)
- Develop and expand relationships with partner organizations and alumni already connecting with KU.
- Provide support to established partners as needed; planning and coordinating activities as appropriate.
School and Campus Collaboration (10%)
- Oversee and coordinate with other staff to maintain accuracy of student information as well as employer and alumni contacts.
- Partner with other staff on data-informed decisions and planning.
- Team up on ECC and school-wide events and initiatives.
- Collaborate within and across campus to utilize and manage technology-based tools and software.
- Supervise or assist with supervision, training, and evaluation of student and graduate student assistants.
- Lead the ECC in developing and managing a marketing vision and strategic plan to elevate visibility and engagement among students and student groups.
- Oversee student worker tasks related to social media and other marketing channels.
- Design, collect, analyze, and report data on marketing.
Other Relevant Duties as assigned (5%)
- Other relevant duties as assigned by the ECC Director.
Position Requirements: This position is located on-site at the Lawrence, KS campus.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three years of relevant professional experience OR Master’s degree with a minimum of one year of relevant professional experience (such as career services, academic advising, employer relations, alumni relations, business development, human resources, marketing, strategic communications or similar role).
- Excellent communication skills as demonstrated by application materials.
- Prior job-related experience establishing and building professional relationships.
- Experience and skill with project management; a high level of organization, detail, and accountability.
- Experience with learning and using new technologies and software.
- Valid driver's license at time of hire and maintained throughout employment.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Experience with data and trend strategic analysis.
- Track record of initiative, drive, and self-directed responsibility to achieve goals.
- High level of professionalism, good judgment, and diplomacy.
Review of applications will begin April 10, 2023 and will continue until a qualified pool of applicants is identified.
Advertised Salary Range: Min $45,500 commensurate with experience
Application Review Begins: 2023-04-10
Anticipated Start Date: 2023-06-01
Primary Campus: University of Kansas Lawrence Campus
FLSA Status: Administrative
Employee Class: U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Work Schedule: Standard Hours
Job Family: Advising,Career&StudentSrv-KUL
Work Location Assignment: On-Site
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Director of the Office of Civil Rights & Title IX, firstname.lastname@example.org, Room 1082, Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).