Administrative OfficerThe Kansas Federal Public Defender
Kansas Federal Public Defender
Deadline February 25, 2019
Who We Are
We work to keep people out of prison through representation, collaboration, and education. Our clients are indigent defendants charged with federal crimes ranging from drug offenses to white‐collar conspiracies. We practice holistic defense lawyering to protect our clients’ rights and champion their humanity at every stage of the criminal case and beyond.
The Kansas FPD seeks to attract and retain a high performing and diverse workforce to serve our clients. The Kansas FPD fosters an inclusive work environment that promotes commitment, flexibility, and fairness.
Join Our Team
We need a full‐time Administrative Officer to oversee the operations of our 42‐person, 3‐city team. This is a high‐level core‐management position that offers responsibility, independence, teamwork, and generous federal benefits. Starting salary is JSP 11/1 at $61,605 to JSP 15/1 at $122,048, depending on experience and qualifications.
Attorneys with experience in employment or administrative law are encouraged to apply. We also value a strong background in human resources, information technology, and public service.
- provide subject matter expertise, leadership, consultation, collaboration, and advisory services essential to the direction and efficient operation of the office;
- directly assist with the management ofkey day‐to‐day planning, process improvement, protocol,policy development, long‐term strategic planning, operations, and special projects;
- work with managers to address and resolve issues, and improve the organization’s overall program management, efficiency, and effectiveness.
Budget and Finance
- plan, direct, and coordinate budget formulation, analysis, and execution;
- advise the Defender regarding the availability of funds for personnel, equipment, and contractual services;
- monitor office internal controls to ensure accurate documentation of processes and duties,and that those duties are properly segregated.
- plan, organize, staff, direct, and evaluate the activities of the administrative, finance, and IT staff;
- assign and review the work of staff members;
- train and work effectively with staff from a variety of backgrounds and with different levels/areas of training;
- develop improvements and design new work methods and procedures.
- advise and assist the Defender on staffing issues,recruitment,selection, appointments, promotions, and separations;
- analyze organizational and operational problems and develop timely and economical solutions.
- oversee procurement, contracting, and property management functions for the office;
- ensure compliance with Judiciary policy and procedures.
Space and Facilities
- coordinate construction projects and arrange office relocations, renovations, and repairs.
Be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States;
Have at least five years of administrative experience;
Have experience with accounts payable and budget management;
Have strong organizational skills and computer literacy, including fluency in Microsoft Excel;
Have excellent written and oral communication skills; and
Pass a full “high sensitive” FBI and financial background check.
It Would Be Great If You
Have a proven commitment to our mission;
Have a bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably in business, accounting, or technology;
Have supervisory and human resources experience;
Have experience working in or with the federal courts;
Have experience working in government or military.
Please send your letter of interest, resume, and three professional references in a single pdf document to email@example.com by Monday February 25, 2019. No phone calls, please.
The Kansas Federal Defender is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities encouraged to apply.