The Kansas City Star is looking for a visual journalist to join our team of driven professionals who strive to provide our diverse and growing community with informative and impactful stories about the people and issues important to Kansas City. This position focuses on shooting, editing and producing original photojournalism content, including stills and video, across multiple platforms.
This individual will be required to pitch, report and produce outstanding daily visual journalism and long-term visual stories. Visual journalists play a critical role, working closely with newsroom colleagues to tell the most important and timely multimedia stories. A strong work ethic, the ability to multitask and the aptitude to work across short- and long-term deadlines is required.
This journalist will work to grow our digital audience through powerful visual journalism that directly connects with issues that resonate with our readers. Ensuring we frame our journalism with this audience in mind is critical, as is keeping a close eye on metrics to see what coverage resonates and what doesn’t, and using that information to make smart decisions.
This position will be based in Kansas City and will report to the Visuals Editor. The position may involve working nights and/or weekends. Some travel may be required and the candidate must have a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle.
Generate ideas for daily still photo and video stories that appeal across local, regional and national online audiences
Report, edit and produce compelling visual journalism on deadline
Shoot live video on scene when warranted and transmit photos from the scene of breaking news and sporting events
Collaborate with editors/reporters to develop creative approaches to digital storytelling
Write headlines, captions, summaries, social media posts and stories that are engaging and accurate
Produce outstanding still photojournalism and video to accompany storytelling in online digital presentations and for print using DSLR and mirrorless camera equipment
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and team player skills required.
- Leadership, strategic thinking experience and the ability to work with colleagues is essential.
- Visual sensibility and experience contributing to interactive and multimedia work, with creative concepts and implementation.
- Reliable news judgment, advanced communication skills needed.
- An understanding of audience trends, SEO and digital media are important.
- Ability to quickly edit video.
- Extensive background in photojournalism and digital media preferred.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Newsroom experience and/or internship(s), preferably in newspapers and/or digital media, is required.
- Must have reliable transportation. Must have valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance required (at least minimum insurance required for the state in which the employee works).
- Energy, flexibility, and online smarts.
- Need the ability to work well with a variety of editors and staff at all levels within a digitally evolving local newsroom.
- Aptitude for thinking big, working wisely, quickly and efficiently
Education & Experience:
- College degree or equivalent experience required.
- At least 2 years digital journalism experience required.
- Familiarity with DSLR and professional video cameras, capturing sound and video editing.