The Kansas City Star
Kansas City, MO
Posted on November 13, 2017
The Kansas City Star Media Company is seeking an advertising analyst. Strong background in financial analysis is required. Bachelor’s degree or past work experience is a must. Newspaper and/or media industry familiarity is a plus. MS Office (Excel, Word) experience/skills are required. Project management skills with the ability to identify, test, implement and monitor process improvements are needed. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
The Advertising Analyst is part of the local Kansas City Advertising team. This individual should have high intensity and integrity, intellectual curiosity, demonstrated leadership abilities and a passion for excellence. This position has significant financial and accounting responsibilities. A strong financial analysis background is required to be successful in the position. Experience with overseeing profit and loss statements, and at reviewing trend and variance reports. MS Office (Excel, Word) experience/skills are required. Project management skills with the ability to identify, test, implement and monitor process improvements are needed. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Day-to-day interaction with Advertising leadership and sales staff.
- Develop and maintain responsibility for performance and metric reporting.
- Create modeling and sensitivity tools and provide insight analytics on for core business drivers.
- Manage monthly agent commission calculation and reporting process.
- Provide analysis for strategic initiatives as directed.
- Assist in preparing monthly accrual-based financial statements accurately and timely.
- Prepare appropriate schedules and reports as requested.
- Research accounts payable and accounts receivable issues as needed.
- Become familiar with the revenue tracking and CRM software system.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong desire to learn and gain valuable experience in analytics, finance, cost analysis and applicable software tools.
- High level of self-motivation; ability to accomplish goals independently.
- Results oriented.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Intellectual curiosity towards research.
- Ability to thrive in both structured and unstructured environments.
- Superior analytical and business judgment.
- Articulate and well-spoken; strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Proficient in SQL or aptitude to become proficient quickly with training.
Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or strong experience in financial reporting.
- Preferred two (2) years of experience in accounting, finance or business analysis related positions.