Salary Range: $16.08 - $22.72 / per Hour
Full Time Position
Evening Shifts Available (2:30pm - 11:00pm)
The job of Custodian is done for the purpose/s of providing custodial services at the assigned site; ensuring an attractive, sanitary and safe environment for students, staff, and visitors; performing a variety of special cleaning operations, and assisting in preparing facilities for classroom activities and campus events.
This job reports to Director of Maintenance, Principal
- Assists with seasonal grounds work (e.g. snow removal, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring access and safety.
- Attends meetings (e.g. in-service training, workshops, etc.) for the purpose of gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Cleans assigned facilities and/or grounds (e.g. classrooms, offices, gym, restrooms, multipurpose rooms, grounds, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment.
- Delivers a variety of items (e.g. furniture, supplies, etc.) for the purpose of distributing materials to the appropriate parties within the site.
- Informs students and other site personnel (e.g. wet floors, inoperable facilities, etc.) for the purpose of providing information and direction regarding activities, safety issues and/or proper maintenance of facilities and equipment.
- Monitors students and staff around work areas (e.g. halls, multipurpose rooms, lunchroom, restrooms, grounds, etc.) for the purpose of preventing injuries and ensuring site safety.
- Performs summer maintenance (e.g. strip/wax floors, moves furniture, painting, etc.) for the purpose of completing and/or facilitating summer construction.
- Prepares site for daily operations (e.g. opening gates, raising flags, sweeping walkway, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring facilities are operational and hazard free.
- Replenishes classroom and restroom supplies (e.g. paper towels, soap, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring adequate quantities for daily use.
- Responds to inquiries from staff, students, parents, and/or visitors (e.g. directions, etc.) for the purpose of providing information, taking appropriate action and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g. facility damage, vandalism, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action or notifying appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Secures facilities and grounds (e.g. doors, gates, alarms, lights, etc.) for the purpose of minimizing property damage, equipment loss and/or potential liability.
- Supports other site maintenance staff (e.g. grounds, trades, etc.) for the purpose of completing site custodial activities.
Performs other related duties as assigned (e.g. minor repairs, including locker doors, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the safe, efficient and effective functioning of the building site.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include operating equipment used in industrial maintenance including electrical cleaning equipment, common tools, etc.; and adhering to safety practices; assembling and/or repairing office and classroom equipment; handling hazardous materials; inspecting buildings and/or grounds; inspecting equipment.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; read and follow instructions, and understand multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include safety practices and procedures; concepts of grammar and punctuation; health standards and hazards; job-related codes/laws/rules/regulations/policies; keyboarding; school safety and security practices.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities; collate data, and use job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing specific, defined processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with specific, job- related data; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. Problem-solving with data requires following prescribed guidelines, and problem-solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: working with constant interruptions; adapting to changing work priorities; analyzing issues and determining appropriate course of action; applying material handling techniques; being available on-call; communicating with persons of diverse backgrounds; displaying mechanical aptitude; organizing tasks; working with frequent interruptions.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized procedures; providing information and/or advising others; operating within a defined budget. There is a continual opportunity to have some impact on the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some climbing and balancing, frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 5% sitting, 50% walking, and 45% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and under conditions with some exposure to the risk of injury and/or illness.
Experience: Job-related experience is desired
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Required Testing: Pre-employment medical physical exam and essential function test (EFT)
Certificates and Licenses: Valid Driver’s License & Evidence of Insurability
Continuing Educ./Training: Required to work some evenings and weekends
Clearances: Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
FLSA Status: Non-exempt