LINUX SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
FINANCIAL INFO SVCS AGENCY
Job Posting Notice
Job ID 535386 # of Positions 1
Business Title LINUX SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR
Civil Service Title IT INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEER
Title Code No 95714 Level 00
Title Classification Non-Competitive
Proposed Salary Range $110,000.00 - $140,000.00 (Annual)
Work Location Manhattan West
Division/Work Unit OPS/HRP Technical Services
As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been
granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this
requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received
and approved by the hiring agency.
The Financial Information Services Agency and the Office of Payroll Administration (FISA-OPA) has a vacancy
for an experienced Linux Systems Administrator to support ongoing production maintenance and phased
rollout implementation of the HR, Benefits, and Timekeeping functions of HR/Payroll systems.
Primary Responsibilities include:
This role will be a technical position responsible for the installation, maintenance, and configuration of the Unix
servers supporting the infrastructure of critical citywide applications. This person will function as one of the
technical administrators for the group and work with various teams, and will need to have the ability to work
independently and prioritize tasks to meet project deadlines.
Minimum Qual Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in computer science, engineering or a related field and
four years of satisfactory full-time experience related to datacenter engineering and operations, cloud
engineering and operations, complex IT infrastructure engineering; or,
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and eight years of satisfactory full-time experience
related to datacenter engineering and operations, cloud engineering and operations, complex IT infrastructure
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above.
- Strong experience in RedHat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) operating system administration.
- Strong experience in GIT and Ansible Automation Platform.
- Strong experience in scripting like shell, PERL and Python.
- Experience in AIX systems administration.
- Ability to provision bare metal installs, configure, operate and maintain systems.
- Perform OS upgrades and patch installations.
- Strong knowledge of Server virtualization, micro partitioning, Dynamic LPAR, and VMware VM.
- Strong knowledge of VMware administration and support experience.
- Strong knowledge of VMware vSphere (ESX and ESXi), vCenter Operations Manager.
- Strong knowledge of Oracle RAC Architecture, configuration and implementation.
- Support Backup, Recovery, Performance and Tuning of AIX and RHEL systems.
- Experience with Symantec NetBackup. VMware NetBackup implementation experience a plus.
- Experience with monitoring tools such as BMC Patrol a plus.
- Willing to learn new tools and technology.
- Ability to plan and prioritize work and meet project deadlines.
- Must be self-motivated and work well with other groups.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Working with an enterprise wide, large scale matrix environment.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written), interpersonal, and organizational skills are required.
The City of New York offers a comprehensive set of benefits and programs to employees, including health
insurance, pension plan, Deferred Compensation Plan (with 457, 401K and Roth IRA options), pre-tax
Commuter Benefit program, pre-tax Flexible Spending Accounts programs and more. Additional benefits such
as prescription drug coverage, dental benefits, vision care benefits and more are also available through
District Council 37 – Local 2627, the union that represents employees in this title.
External applicants please visit https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/ to apply to Job ID # 535386. Current NYC
employees may apply via Employee Self Service (ESS). While all complete applications will be given
consideration, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by FISA-OPA.
35 hours weekly/Day
New York City Residency is not required for this position.
POSTING DATE 06/14/2022 POST UNTIL Until Filled
The City of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and
providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or
protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion,
disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.