Assistant Vice President, Office of Finance and Administration
About Nassau Community College:
Nassau Community College (NCC), a member of the State University of NY (SUNY) system of Colleges and Universities, is a diverse and multi-cultural campus. NCC provides equal employment opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital, or veteran status. NCC promotes positive efforts in recruitment to achieve equity and inclusion and is conducting a search to fill anticipated staff and administrative vacancies. All vacancies are filled pending budget approval.
The Assistant Vice President of Finance and Administration works with the Vice President to maintain the financial integrity of the organization, including ensuring the efficiency and efficacy of its internal control environment, including but not limited to overseeing the preparation of financial statements prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and financial reports required by appropriating or granting authorities, using the highest of ethical standards.
The Assistant Vice President works expeditiously and diligently on behalf of the institution while operating with a data-informed and equity-focused approach to enhance student access and enrollment in collaboration with multiple internal and external stakeholders.
- Provide relevant financial and non-financial data, analysis and direct recommendations regarding cash management, and overall financial and operational areas of the College to the President, the President's cabinet and the Board of Trustees.
- Provide relevant financial and non-financial data, analysis and direct recommendations for decision-making to support Human Resources, Labor Relations, General Counsel, and outside labor counsel during the course of labor negotiations including participation upon request at negotiations sessions with the College's bargaining unit representatives.
- Participate in the financial aspects of Presidential and Board of Trustee policy determinations.
- Ensuring the College maintains sound financial management practices.
- Review / modify / design College Policies in consultation with College counsel to assure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations, while leveraging a data-informed and student-focused, equity-minded approach.
- Provide the Vice President of Finance with confidential information and advice in his/her performance of duties as a direct College representative during negotiations and contract administration with the associations and unions representing College employees pursuant to the Taylor Law of the State of New York.
- Stay current and ensure adherence with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Stay current and ensure adherence with GASB, GAAP and OMB Circulars.
- Oversee the day to day operations of the Accounts Payable and Comptroller's Departments; other areas as assigned.
- Work closely with both internal and external auditors.
- Oversee the mentoring, training and development of staff members in accordance with the organization's guidelines, procedures, and policies and provide timely feedback.
- Perform various research projects at the request of senior management.
- Work collaboratively within a diverse college community.
- Commitment to best practices and ethical standards.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Master's degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related area.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA).
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of experience in a college or university accounting, financial management or business management department.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, theories and practices of accounting, auditing, budgeting and financial management.
- Proven experience in creating financial statements and general ledger functions.
- Ability to design, implement and evaluate new accounting and financial management procedures.
- Ability to prepare and analyze budgets and complex financial statements.
- Ability to supervise professional and clerical employees.
- Strong analytical ability and a critical eye for details.
- Well-developed skills in written and oral communication.
- Broad and deep knowledge of financial modeling and business practices.
- Ability to research and implement new and relevant accounting pronouncements issued by GASB.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with proven ability to demonstrate professionalism and collegial interactions with employees and all stakeholders throughout the College Community.
- Knowledge of the College organizational structure and ability to work with all areas of the organization to solve problems.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Banner and MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Strong management skills.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to work effectively with ethnic, cultural, and socially diverse student populations.
Big 4 Public Accounting experience is preferred.
This position reports directly to the Vice President.