General Counsel 1
Salary: $95,171 - $136,263/annually
About the Opportunity:
This position acts as the General Counsel for the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS). The incumbent provides legal advice to the Executive Director and staff including the interpretation of federal and state laws, tax regulations, and published guidance governing qualified retirement plans. Coordinating the participant appeal process by providing legal representation to MSRS staff at fact finding conferences with the Office of Administrative Hearings and presenting the appeal to the Board of Directors. In addition, the incumbent acts as the liaison between MSRS and the Office of the Attorney General and participates in requests for proposal and contract administration for mission-critical vendor relationships.
Minimum Qualifications –
- Three (3) years of managerial or advanced supervisory experience leading legal services or similar activities.
- Seven (7) years as a licensed attorney conducting legal research, writing, and analysis.
- D. Degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Minnesota and current with continuing legal education requirements.
Experience of candidates considered must include:
- Experience in one or more of the following areas of law: tax, retirement, employment, procurement, data practices and conflicts of interest, and ethics.
- Experience providing legal advice to senior management or executives.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with peers, superiors and staff and to work both within the agency and among other agencies and organizations to identify legal issues and resolve problems effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrated strong communication and management skills.
- Excellent legal analysis and writing skills.
- Proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations.
Preferred Qualifications –
- Experience handling issues related to state and federal laws as they relate to tax qualified governmental retirement and healthcare plans.
- Experience in litigation practices and techniques, assessment of legal risk, knowledge of negotiation and settlement strategies and techniques, and legal considerations related to settling or compromising lawsuits and claims.
- Experience working with the Minnesota Attorney General's Office and/or State government agencies.
- Knowledge of the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act and ability to analyze data, determine classification of data, and provide protection of not public data.
- Demonstrated project management and organizational skills.
It is the policy of the Retirement Systems of MN that all employees submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check (applies to current and past State employees only)
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Social Security and Address Verification
- Education Verification
- Driver's License Check
The Retirement Systems will not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Why Work for Us:
The State of Minnesota also has over 100 state agencies, so the possibilities of serving our great state through a multitude of programs and roles are endless! The State of Minnesota also has our own Enterprise Talent Development department to keep your skills and knowledge sharp. You may also qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness, which forgives the remaining balance of your student loans after 120 qualifying monthly payments!
What’s also great about this job is the competitive wage and comprehensive benefits package including low cost/high value medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, retirement plan, health care savings plan, generous vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, and numerous tax-deferred benefit options (e.g., 457B investment plan, long and short-term disability plans, etc.). Benefits offered are:
- Medical and dental insurance
- Life insurance
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Parental leave
- Pension and retirement saving plan
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Long and short term disability insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
HOW TO APPLY:
Job Posting Number: 60842
Posting Closes: 12/9/2022