Public Health NurseLeavenworth County Courthouse
LEAVENWORTH COUNTY JOB OPENING
POSITION: Public Health Nurse, LV County Health Department, Leavenworth, Kansas
SALARY: $25.95/hour (Full Time – benefits eligible)
County Employees Only: May submit their application to the Human Resources Department, 1st Floor Room 104, in the County Courthouse, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via fax to (913) 684-1028.
General Public: May apply at the Leavenworth Workforce Center, 515 Limit Street, Leavenworth, Kansas or EMAIL applications to email@example.com or fax the application to (913) 684-1028. Application may be found on the Leavenworth County website at www.leavenworthcounty.org under Information>Employment Opportunities> Leavenworth County Application.
This position closes when filled.
LEAVENWORTH COUNTY JOB DESCRIPTION
POSITION: Public Health Nurse
DEPARTMENT: Health Department
PAY LEVEL: Level 20
LOCATION: LV County Health Department – 500 Eisenhower,Ste 101 – Leavenworth, KS 66048
SUPERVISOR: Health Department Clinical Manager
PERCENTAGE OF TIME ACCOUNTABILITIES
75% 1. Conducting or assessing with maternal and infant
clinic, family planning clinic, well baby clinic, flu
clinics, physical clinic, documenting, treating and
reporting communicable diseases.
20% 2. Health assessments for walk-in clients providing
assessments and counseling for HIV,
immunizations, pregnancy testing, and evaluates
5% 3. Public Health Preparedness.
Serves as Leavenworth County Health Department nurse under supervision of the Clinical
Manager. Conducts or participates in Health Department clinics. Performs health assessments
in a variety of clinics. Performs other duties as assigned by Health Department Administrative
Director and Director of Nursing.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
1. Knowledge of cultural competency in working with diverse group of clients.
2. Knowledge and skill in the application of principles and procedures of public health nursing.
3. Knowledge of the significance of disease preventive measures in the improvement of
4. Skills in communicating effectively both orally and written.
5. Knowledge of data entry.
6. Skills in exercising tact and good judgement.
1. Work with local and state agencies in providing services to enhance the quality of life for
residents of Leavenworth County.
2. Works closely with other staff members to insure comprehensive health care.
ILLUSTRATIVE TASKS (This is not an inclusive list; other tasks/duties may be assigned.)
1. Conducts immunizations, participates in well baby clinics, family planning clinics, maternal
and infant clinics, and physical clinics.
2. Provides testing and treatment for STD’s.
3. Tracks and reports communicable diseases and acts as a liaison with hospitals and other
4. Provides assessments and counseling in variety of health clinics.
Work is performed in an office and clinic setting at the Health Department location. May be
some travel to provide medicines and training.
1. Any combination of training and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited
college with a degree in nursing or an accredited professional nursing school.
2. One (1) year of professional nursing experience in public health nursing preferred.
3. Possession of a Kansas State Registered Nurses License.
4. Valid driver’s license.
5. Maintains continuing education hours.
1. Vision Adequate for preparing and reviewing computer, clients charts,
2. Hearing Adequate for conversation and telephone use – considerable
ADA/PHYSICAL DEMANDS (continued)
3. Speech Must be able to speak and understand English language clearly to give instructions to employees and converse with public.
4. Standing 25% of the time-interaction with employees/clients.
5. Walking 30% of the time-interaction with employees/ clients.
6. Sitting 45% of the time-computer use, plan review, and meetings.
7. Lifting/Carrying 10 pounds-as required in day-to-day activities.
8. Pushing/Pulling 10 pounds-as required to move normal office elements in normal business operation.
9. Reaching/Handling As required to move normal office elements in normal business operation; required on most tasks.
I have read the job description and understand the content.
LEAVENWORTH COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER