Biology Communications Coordinator
Biology Communications Coordinator
Undergraduate Biology Program
Undergraduate Biology at the University of Kansas is seeking to fill the position of Communications Coordinator. The position will be primarily responsible for digital content and communications for Biology, including Undergraduate Biology (KUUB), Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and Molecular Biosciences. The position will assist with developing and maintaining web content for the units. The position will also be responsible for communications to enhance awareness and outreach efforts, including social media. The position will have a minor effort coordinating with KU Instructional Development and Support to facilitate effective audio-visual functions in Haworth Hall classrooms. This position will also assist with special events associated with Biology, such as the annual Undergraduate Biology Recognition Ceremony. The position is supervised by the Associate Director of Biology, but will work closely with Biology Directors and Chairs. The position may also be responsible for supervision of personnel, including students. Serves on committees as needed by KUUB. Performs associated miscellaneous duties as requested by the KUUB Co-Directors, Associate Director, or Assistant Director.
50% - Internal and External Communications
Coordinates internal and external communications to enhance awareness, outreach, and function of academic and research activities associated with Biology. Directs content and moderates Biology’s social media activities (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google Ads, and YouTube) to engage potential, current, and former students as well as other internal and external communities. Promotes student, staff, and faculty accomplishments, ensures appropriate content is shared, and outreach efforts are effective. Works with partners, vendors, and departments to produce and manage communication materials (e.g., physical and digital materials), which also includes recognition ceremonies and honors symposia. Assists with maintaining communication and gathering information on Biology graduates. Educate and serve as resource to leadership, faculty, and staff on current and innovative communication strategies.
40% - Web Site Development and Management
Serves as webmaster for Undergraduate Biology, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and Molecular Biosciences. Ensures content is monitored and updated regularly to guarantee accurate and new information. Ensures that news, events, information and updates are routinely and appropriately published. Assists faculty with updating information on research lab websites. Directs the preparation and/or editing of materials for web site publication, including ads, photos, audio, and video. Routinely reviews other sites, explores new technology and solicits feedback to make recommendations regarding effectiveness.
10% - Audio-Visual Assistance
Serves as a primary contact to assist instructors, staff, and guest speakers with audio-visual equipment in class and seminars in Haworth Hall. Coordinate major repairs and arranges for temporary replacement through Instructional Development and Support.
- This position will be a hybrid of on-site work and telework as deemed by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field, plus minimum of 1-year related professional experience.
- At least one year of marketing or communications experience as evidenced by application materials.
- Experience working with various social media platforms as evidenced by application materials.
- Experience working with design software programs (e.g., Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator, etc.) as evidenced by application materials.
- Experience creating, developing, and maintaining web sites, including experience with content management systems (CMS) as evidenced by application materials.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as evidenced by application materials and interview.
- Master’s degree in marketing, journalism or related field.
- Experience in higher education setting.
- Advanced training in various technologies and social media.
- Familiarity with UB, EEB, and MB programs.
Contact Information to Applicants Lindsey Deaver email@example.com
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application includes:
- Online application
- Cover letter addressing how required and preferred qualifications are met
- Names, relationship, and contact information (email) for three professional references.
Application deadline is Sept 13th, 2021. For first consideration, please apply before that date.
Advertised Salary Range Minimum at $42K with potential increase based upon prior experience
Application Review Begins 14-Sep-2021
Anticipated Start Date 01-Oct-2021
Primary Campus University of Kansas Lawrence Campus
FLSA Status Nonexempt
Employee Class U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Work Schedule M-F/8-5
Job Family Public Affairs-KUL
Work Location Assignment Hybrid
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university's programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies and are the Title IX coordinators for their respective campuses: Director of the Office of Civil Rights & Title IX, firstname.lastname@example.org, Room 1082, Dole Human Development Center, 1000 Sunnyside Avenue, Lawrence, KS 66045, 785-864-6414, 711 TTY (for the Lawrence, Edwards, Parsons, Yoder, and Topeka campuses); Director, Equal Opportunity Office, Mail Stop 7004, 4330 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Fairway, KS 66205, 913-588-8011, 711 TTY (for the Wichita, Salina, and Kansas City, Kansas medical center campuses).