LEAD APPLICATION DEVELOPER/RESEARCH ENGINEERKU Life Span Studies
Lead Application Developer/Research Engineer
Life Span Institute, University of Kansas
JUNIPER GARDENS CHILDREN’S PROJECT
A University of Kansaseducation research center,Juniper Gardens Children's Project (JGCP) has been a leader in developing and testing solutions to improve the lives of children with disabilities over the past 50 years.In recent decades, many of those solutions include the use of custom web and mobile applications.We are seeking a full-stackApplication Developerto lead development of single-page web applications, as well as maintain, troubleshoot and improve applications already in production.Existing applications at JGCP include learning management systems, web appsthat help manage and report child outcomes to guide teacher’s instructional decisions, and mobile apps to support parent-teacher communication and student self-management. As a member of JGCP’s Technology Innovation, Development & Research (TIDR) lab, the developerwill gain experienceacrossmultiple researchprojects. For new applications, the developer will recommend and implement design strategies that consider 1) project needs, 2) software design best practices, 3) usability and accessibility, 4) scalability,5) security, and 6) knowledge of existing and emerging technologies. This position, which reports to the TIDR Lab director, requires the ability to work both independently and with a small team of developers, and maintain strong communication, organization, and problem-solving skills. There is a preference for candidateswhoprovide access to, or detailed information about, at least two applications for which he/she played a substantial role in development.The candidate must be able to articulate clearly their role in the development of applications.Please note:
- The position is located in Kansas City, Kansas (444 Minnesota Ave)
- Employment is contingent upon passing a full background check and availability of funding.
- 50% - Develop, maintain, and troubleshoot web and mobile web applications based on project-specific needs and user feedback.Design and codeapplications independently while continuously seeking methods for automation, efficiency, and maintaining the highest level of confidentiality and security with respect to JGCP data and information.Collaborate with project staff to follow-up with requests for revisions in a timely manner.
- 20% - Through regular code reviews and coordination of development activities with other JGCP developers and contractors, maintain high-quality software standards while achieving development goals on time.
- 15% - Work with project directors to identify potential software solutions to serve the needs of existing and planned projects. This includes working with directors at any point throughout the development lifecycle.
- 10% - Build the overall expertise of the development team through mentorship and technical assistance
- 5% - Work alongsideTIDR Lab colleagues to support theJGCP technology infrastructure. This includes troubleshooting network problems related to web resources, assisting in office hardware and software upgrades, and troubleshooting individual workstation problems as needed.
- High school/GED and 4 years related experience, OR Associate’s degree with 3 years related experience, OR Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of related experience
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with relationaldatabase management systems (e.g., MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Application development experience evidenced by providing links in cover letter of at least oneweb applicationor one mobile application that the candidate developed or played a lead role in developing. Login credentials, if applicable, are not required but may be requested later.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
- Minimum 1 year experience developing applications for iOS or Android platforms.
- Minimum of 3 years’ web development experience
- Minimum 1year experience using Ember.js
- Minimum 1 year experience building web APIs
- Minimum 1 year experience using a code version control system (e.g., Git, Mercurial, SVN, etc.)
- Minimum of 1 year experience writing automated software tests (e.g. Acceptance, Integration, Unit)
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience deploying and maintaining content management systems or frameworks such as Drupal, Joomla or WordPress.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience developing and maintaining learning management systems such as Moodle or Blackboard.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving and organizational skills as evidenced by application materials and work experience.
Annual Salary:$70,000 to $85,000annually,commensurate with education and experience.
Deadline/Start Date:Review of applications will begin April 9, 2018and continue until position is filled.
Start Date:When position is filled
To Apply:For more information and how to apply go to http://employment.ku.edu/research-engineer/11484br.All applicants must apply online and provide a cover letter that includes link(s)of examples of at least one web application or one mobile application that the candidate contributed to, demonstrating the use of web technologies. Login credentials, if applicable, are not required but may be requested later.Additionally, applicants must submit a resume and contact information for 3 professional references. For questions about the position, please contact Jay Buzhardt, 913 321 3143. For questions about the application process, please contact Diana Skill, 913-735 2612.
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, retaliation, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities.