Kansas Geological Survey
Work as part of a team to support the mission of the State of Kansas Data Access & Support Center (DASC). Located at the Kansas Geological Survey (KGS), DASC serves as the Kansas GIS data clearinghouse and is involved in numerous statewide GIS initiatives in collaboration with state and local government and the private sector. The GIS Specialist position will focus primarily on the crash mapping project in collaboration with the Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT). The GIS Specialist will be responsible for determining crash locations using materials provided by KDOT. Additionally, this position will manage and monitor automated procedures, perform QA/QC testing, and produce status reports as necessary. An ideal candidate for this position is a GIS professional that is organized, resourceful, and self-motivated. Telecommuting or hybrid work arrangement may be considered for the ideal candidate.
KU offers great benefits to employees with up to 22 days of paid vacation earned per year, 12 days of sick leave earned per year, nine paid holidays plus one discretionary day, a retirement program, medical and dental insurance, life and disability insurance, other benefit plan options, and State of Kansas discounts offered by various vendors. KU also offers employees educational and professional development opportunities. KGS at KU is a great place to work! The University actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups.
(20%) Manage and monitor automated crash location procedures.
(10%) Communication & coordination.
- Regularly communicate the status of automated and manual mapping efforts to the supervisor
- Participate in project status meetings
- Produce status reports
(5%) Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Associate’s degree and three years of GIS experience OR Bachelor’s degree and two years of GIS experience OR an advanced degree with an emphasis in GIS.
- Strong communication skills. Written skills will be evaluated by the quality of application materials and/or a list of published materials. Oral communication skills will be assessed by the interview and through reference checks.
- Experience with Python scripting.
- Experience with Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) and SQL
- Experience with the ArcGIS Online platform (e.g., map and feature services, Web Maps, Web Apps, Web App Builder, Story Maps, Operations Dashboard, Hub, Open Data).
- Experience obtaining and converting data from multiple sources and formats.
- Experience developing and maintaining FGDC/ISO compliant metadata.
- Professional experience developing and presenting technical documentation and training materials.
Additional Candidate Instruction
Complete the University of Kansas Unclassified Professional Staff profile and upload the required material:
- Cover letter specifically addressing each required and preferred qualification and each position requirement.
- Contact information for two or more work references. Provide a relationship to the references.
To apply for this position please click the Apply!