Licensed Practical NurseKansas City, Missouri Area Jobs
Kearney School District has an opening for an License Practical Nurse (LPN)
The school nurse strengthens and facilitates the educational process by modifying or removing health-related barriers to learning and assumes responsibility for appropriate assessment, management, and/or referral. The school nurse serves as the direct link between the physicians, families, and community agencies to assure access and continuity of health care of the students; provides relevant instruction, counseling, and guidance to students, parents, and staff concerning health-related issues; upholds professional standards, the state Nurse Practice Act, and other state and local statutes and regulations applicable to school nursing practice; adheres to district policies and procedural guidelines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide basic first aid care and emergency care for staff, students, and patrons.
- Access the health status of students and ensure they have appropriate Individualized Health Care Plans (IHP) and Emergency Action Plans (EAP) as needed and with collaboration from parents, students, teachers, and physicians.
- Communicate changes in student health status to the District Nurse.
- Conduct health screenings (hearing, vision, scoliosis, health assessments) and provide for follow up.
- Assess and evaluate the health and development status of students through appropriate screening techniques.
- Audit immunization status of all students in compliance with the Missouri Division of Health and Senior Services. Notify parents of deficiencies and how to comply with immunization requirements.
- Maintain current health records of all students, input data electronically, and use the information accumulated to initiate prevention remedial action.
- Comply with the district’s policies and procedures in regards to medication administration, food allergies, anaphylactic response, and blood borne pathogens, accidents, illness, and injury.
- Comply with district’s policies and procedures regarding reporting of communicable diseases to the Clay County Public Health Department.
- Notify parents regarding their child’s illness or injury, informing them of action taken and seeking further instructions from parents.
- Assume responsibility for maintenance of the health room
Other Job Functions
- Comply with the district’s policy and state laws in regards to child abuse and neglect.
- Comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Attend health services department meetings.
- Work collaboratively with the building administration and the District Nurse.
- Adhere to all district rules, regulations, and policies.
- All other duties as required or assigned.
- Currently licensed to practice in Missouri as an LPN or RN.
- CPR/AED certified.
- Ability to work effectively under the direction of the District Nurse.
- Ability to work and communicate cooperatively with others.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Physically capable of assisting students with health care needs that may require lifting, positioning, transferring, restraining, or transporting within the school environment and during school events.
- Ability to operate medical equipment necessary to preform medical procedures quickly.
The individual who holds this position is regularly required to walk, sit, talk, hear, speak, stand, and occasionally required to reach bend, lift, and carry.
Regular and consistent attendance is an essential function of this position.